Makita has been manufacturing belt sanders for a long time, so they know what the customers need. For different customer needs, they have mini sanders that are powerful enough for use on metal and large belt sanders that need a place like a benchtop. Makita also has portable ones that you can take and go to the workplace. Not only this, but Makita also offers a speed control dial and silent but powerful motors in their belt sanders. So in this Makita belt sander review article, we have listed some of the best Makita belt sanders with their specifications and functionality to guide you properly. Whether you need a belt sander for a DIY project or professional use, Makita has everything available for you.
- 1 About Makita Brand
- 2 7 Best Makita Belt Sander Reviews With Pros & Cons
- 2.1 MAKITA 9924DB DUSTLESS 3” X24” Long Corded BELT SANDER
- 2.2 Makita 9920 3” x 24” Featuring Powerful 8.8 AMP Motor.
- 2.3 Makita 9910 3-Inch X 18-Inch Benchtop Belt Sander
- 2.4 Belt Sanding Machine Makita 9403
- 2.5 Makita 9903 3”x 21” Belt Sanders
- 2.6 Makita 9031 1-1/8” x 21” Sanding Machine
- 2.7 Lightweight Makita 9404 4” x 24” For Easier Maneuverability
- 2.8 Conclusion
About Makita Brand
Makita Corporation is a well-known manufacturer that makes power tools. It has been around for almost 100 years now. The headquarters are in Aichi, Japan, but it has its head office in the U.S in La Miranda, California, for business purposes. The company might be old, but it still has the same popularity in the market. Products that were released 20 years ago are still in high demand and doing a great job. We can see that Makita has a lot of experience with customer needs in the way they have released so many belt sanders, each having different specifications.
7 Best Makita Belt Sander Reviews With Pros & Cons
Here we will discuss some of the most popular Makita sanders according to the customer ratings to help you find the one you need. So let’s checkout-
MAKITA 9924DB DUSTLESS 3” X24” Long Corded BELT SANDER
Makita 9924DB belt sander has a 7.85 amp powerful motor with a 3” x24” belt and a cloth dust bag. It has tons of features to look out for. Makita provides long cords, and this one comes with 14 inches long cable to help you work freely. Weighing only 10.6 lbs. it is lightweight and can sand 1300 feet per minute without applying extra pressure. People like carpenters, deck builders, woodworkers, and floor builders can use this handy tool for their woodworking experience. They can easily round edges or remove wood from the surface.
Pros of Makita 9924DB
- Long cord
- Easily replaceable belt
- Strong motor
- Replaceable ceramic plate
- Dust bag for a mess-free workstation
- It offers a 30-day money-back guarantee and a one year warranty
- No ergonomic handle
- A bit expensive
Makita 9920 3” x 24” Featuring Powerful 8.8 AMP Motor.
The designs of Makitas are quite similar to one another, but they still are different. Just as here, you see the exact length belts used, but the motor is extra powerful with 8.8 amps. It is also lightweight, weighing only 9.9 lbs. Makita 9920 is a bit expensive but has solutions to two of the most annoying things you face while working with a sander. One is the noise. Makita 9920 operates at about 84 dB at full speed, which is less harsh on your ears. The second thing is cleaning the mess a sander creates after working all day. Makita has included a bigger dust collector bag so you will not have to clean it frequently. This heavy-duty sander comes with a 16.4 feet long cord too. It has an adjustable speed controller to select the speed you need for your work.
Things we like about Makita 9920
- Really strong 8.8 amp motor
- Has 16.4 feet long cord
- Adjustable speed controls the speed
- Big dust collector
- Creates less noise
- Easily replaceable belts
- Auto-tracking belt system
- It comes with a one year warranty
Things we don’t like
- The dust bag is too big and comes in the way while working.
Makita 9910 3-Inch X 18-Inch Benchtop Belt Sander
The manufacturer has currently discontinued this version of Makita. But it is one of the lightweight belt sanders from Makita, weighing only 5.7 pounds with a small but powerful motor of 5.6 amps. It works perfectly on vertical pieces delivering a belt speed of 900 feet per minute. It has a flat top design that allows it to work as a benchtop sanding tool. Also, does flush sanding to the wall.
Pros of Makita 9910
- Creates less noise, almost 82 dB
- Compact and lightweight, perfect for working on vertical projects
- Auto adjustable belt
- It can double as a benchtop tool
- The dust bag is aligned straight and out of the way
- Good dust collection
Cons of Makita 9910
- The belts may break after several uses
Belt Sanding Machine Makita 9403
This 9403 model from Makita has a bigger belt size that can cover a lot of space at once, making your life easier. It has an 11 amps powerful motor and a 4” wide belt that moves at a speed of 1640 feet per minute. It also has a noise cancellation system which only creates 84 dB. Weighing about 13 pounds and still doing a good job. The handle and cord position is suitable for the workers.
- Quietest among all Makita models
- It has a large front grip for a comfortable hold
- Dust bag that swivels 360 degrees
- Easy and quick system to change the belt
- 4 inches wide belt to cover vast area fast
- It is double insulated
- One year limited warranty
- It comes with an 80-grit sanding belt
- Sandpaper might rip due to the poor belt adjustable system.
Makita 9903 3”x 21” Belt Sanders
Makita 9903 is a versatile belt sander that is quite popular in the market. It weighs only 9.5 pounds with a silent but strong motor of 8.8 amps. This sander also has an adjustable speed dial that controls speed from 690-1440 feet per minute. You can choose the speed you need according to your projects. It has an innovative design that sands flush to the wall. For more details, you can check Makita 9903 Belt Sander Review.
Pros of Makita 9903
- Long power cord
- Auto adjustable belt
- Speed dial to adjust the speed
- It has a silent motor that creates less noise
- Wide sanding belt
- Well-positioned dust bag
- It does not come with a hard case
- You can also check the comparison article of Makita 9903 Vs 9403, which will help you choose the right one.
Makita 9031 1-1/8” x 21” Sanding Machine
Unlike other Makita Belt sanders, this has a narrow belt that can sand through metal and fiberglass. If you are making armors, weapons, carpentry, or furniture, this can be something handy. It is very light as it weighs only 4.6 pounds with an extraordinary 5 amp motor. This sander comes with an adjustable speed that goes 656 – 3,280 ft./min. Makita 9031 has several features that take all the attention. Like the belt, the sander can rotate and lock to a position that is suitable for your use. Also, the trigger button has a lock system that will keep the machine on even when you leave the trigger allowing you to work freely.
What are the advantages?
- The lock-on button allows it to stay on while working freely continuously
- Has a dust collection system
- Multi-position side handle
- Easily replaceable belts
- The narrow belt and exposed front pulley helps to work on any shapes
- Adjustable belt speed
Things we don’t like
- The sander can only take 100V higher than that it can start a fire
Lightweight Makita 9404 4” x 24” For Easier Maneuverability
This belt sander model from Makita is the most expensive one on the list here. So this is not for every budget. What makes it so expensive? Let’s see. It has a strong 8.8 amp motor while weighing about 10.3 pounds. This sander is powerful enough to go through wood, rust, metal, and almost everything. Makita 9404 comes with a dust collector and also has a low noise system that makes working a bit peaceful. You can also check the comparison between Makita 9404 and 90403 before buying.
Advantages of Makita 9404
- The belts are broad and cover a lot of areas.
- 8.8 amp motor can sand almost anything
- has a 16.4 feet long cord
- Adjustable sanding belt
- Dust port can connect with vacuum
- Variable speed control dial controls speed between 690-1440 feet per minute.
- It is a bit overpriced
Why does my belt sander keep breaking belts?
There are many reasons behind breaking a belt. It could be the belt’s age, exposure, heat from the machine, or humidity. Also, the pulley that holds the belt while the belt rolls need to stay in place. If it is not placed correctly, it can cause the belt to break.
Is a Belt sander easy to use?
A belt sander is actually a portable moving belt that is put over surfaces to get the smooth finish you want. It is quite easy to handle once you get the hang of it. You just need to be careful not to touch the moving belt when it is on.
Are belt sanders better than orbital sanders?
They both work the same but have different designs. While the orbital sanders are portable and lightweight, so you can carry them anywhere to do the work, a belt sander does a heavy-duty job, mostly staying at one place. Orbital sander finishes off the work after the belt sander takes off the rough edges and tricky parts.
Sanding is a difficult task that needs patience and hard work. Technologies have made things easier than before, but now the problem is choosing a suitable machine. Among other brands of belt sanders, Makita has been getting the best customer reviews. The reason for Makita’s popularity is its high-quality products. We have discussed the best Makita belt sanders from this brand, each having different specifications and functionality. All that is left to do is to decide which one suits your needs and budget.