The woodworkers know how hard it is to sand anything by hand better than anyone else. However, you might still need to hand sand some of the imperfections that a sander might damage. But despite that, a sander has become an important part of the woodworking process. The companies produce different varieties of sanders with unique features that go well with both beginners and professionals. For fast and accurate sanding on the wood, you need the best sander for wood. In this article about wood sanders, you will find a list of recommendations that might help you find the one you need.
- 1 2022’s Top 9 Best Sander For Wood Projects
- 1.1 Makita BO5030K Random Orbit Sander With 5 Inch Disc
- 1.2 Cordless Milwaukee 2648-20 M18 Random Orbit Sander For Professionals
- 1.3 DEWALT DWE6421K Best Hand Sander for Wood
- 1.4 BLACK+DECKER (BDCRO20C) Random Orbital Sander Cordless
- 1.5 SKIL SR211601 Random Orbital Sander with Cyclonic Dust Box For Beginners
- 1.6 CRAFTSMAN (CMEW231) Random Orbit Sander Corded With 3 amp Motor
- 1.7 Cordless Ryobi P411 One+ Random Orbit Power Sander For Wood
- 1.8 PORTER-CABLE 382 Random Orbit Sander With Dual Plane Counter
- 1.9 Ridgid R8606B GEN5X 18-Volt Cordless Random Orbit Sander
- 1.10 Final Verdict
Where Should You Use A Wood Sander?
The large sanding jobs require sanders that take care of the rough and the subtle finishing jobs. Sanding by hand will take an eternity to complete, but a sander can make it easier than ever. Woodwork can be any work that has to do with the wood. But here, we will look at the sanders suitable for making wood furniture or building a staircase, cabinet making, and even toy-making.
Types Of Sanders To Use On Wood
You can use the belt sander, disc sander, random orbital sander, or detailed sanders on wood. Each of these sanders has a different role to play when it comes to sanding on wood. If you are a professional and have a huge budget, you cannot go wrong if you buy all these types of sanders. With all these, your work will only get finer and finer. While the belt sanders take on the rough and heavy jobs, the other sanders mainly focus on the finishing and polishing of the wood. We have mostly discussed different types of random orbital sanders that work great on wood.
2022’s Top 9 Best Sander For Wood Projects
We have listed down the most popular sanders for wood depending on the price, features, and performance. Here are the top 9 best sanders for wood with their functions, specifications, and pros and cons to help you choose the one you need for your wooden projects. They are mostly all corded or cordless random orbital sanders.
Makita BO5030K Random Orbit Sander With 5 Inch Disc
The first on the list is the Makita BO5030K random orbital sander. It has a standard 5-inch disc and a 3 amp motor that is powerful enough to work on wood. The lightweight body makes it compact and easy to carry. It has a controlled pad system that can control the speed of the sander upon startup. This can reach up to the speed of 12000 OPM for fast and smooth sanding. The top of the sander has rubberized so that it feels like a soft glove you are holding. It comes with an eight-hole sanding pad with the popular hook and loop system, making it easily changeable. The holes help to suck the dust in the dust bag to have a clean working experience.
Pros of Makita BO5030K Wood Sander
- Oversized sealed ball-bearing to ensure a longer tool life
- Lightweight and compact
- Pad control system prevents gouging
- The rubberized top gives a comfortable hold
- 8 hole sanding pad helps dust go straight into the dust bag
- Easily replaceable sanding pad
- It does not have a variable speed option
Cordless Milwaukee 2648-20 M18 Random Orbit Sander For Professionals
The Milwaukee 2648-20 M18 cordless random orbital sander is the most expensive sander on the list. This sander is specially designed for professionals who need a powerful cordless sander to reach places where electric power cannot reach. It has all the unique functions like the variable speed option giving you the freedom to choose between 7000 to 12000 OPM speed. The battery gives about 35 minutes of runtime, which is more than the other sanders. This lightweight sander is easy to carry around but also powerful enough to do professional work.
- Easy to use
- Has variable speed
- Speed dial is within reach
- It has a powerful motor
- Easy to control
- The battery power might not be enough and need frequent changes.
DEWALT DWE6421K Best Hand Sander for Wood
The Dewalt DWE6421K is the most popular sander among the users. It is durable and comes with a strong motor of 3 amp on the top or around its body, providing you flexibility while working. The dust-sealed switch keeps the dust away from reaching into the sander. The sander is about 5 pounds which is a bit heavier than other sanders of this class. But it can reach up to the speed of 12000 OPM for a smooth performance.
Pros of DEWALT DWE6421K
- Creates low vibrations
- Rubber over-mold for a comfortable hold
- Improved dust-sealed switch
- An effective dust collection system
- One-hand locking dust bag
- Dust port can connect to a vacuum hose with an adapter
- It might not hold the sanding pad for long
BLACK+DECKER (BDCRO20C) Random Orbital Sander Cordless
Another famous cordless sander is the BLACK+DECKER BSCRO20C. This sander is one of the strongest cordless sanders around with its light body and compact size. It can reach its high speed easily that goes till 12000 OPM. It requires a single lithium-ion battery to function. This battery-powered sander works well at removing paint, stain, and polishing wood. Its design prevents fatigue and allows the user to have more flexibility while working on it. However, another good thing about this sander is that the batteries are rechargeable. You can use spare batteries while you charge the other batteries on hand.
- Lightweight battery-powered sander
- It comes in a compact design
- Suitable for DIY projects
- Has a dust bag for proper dust collection system
- Fast and efficient work
- Best orbital sander for wood
- The battery might run out quickly
SKIL SR211601 Random Orbital Sander with Cyclonic Dust Box For Beginners
The SKIL SR211601 random orbital sander comes with a 2.8 amp motor that can provide a speed up to 13000 OPM. Unlike other random orbital sanders, this one comes with a variable speed option. The speed dial is close to reaching so that it is easier to change the speed when needed. It weighs only 3.44 pounds which is quite light, so you can easily work with it on horizontal or vertical surfaces. With such great features, the sander comes at a really affordable price. So, this is a great deal for beginners who need a sander that works just like a professional one.
Features we like
- Dust sealed switch
- Cyclonic transparent dust box allows seeing inside
- Low vibration
- It comes with a variable speed option
- Can easily reach tight places for better sanding
- Compact size and ergonomic design
- Not suitable for heavy-duty jobs
CRAFTSMAN (CMEW231) Random Orbit Sander Corded With 3 amp Motor
The CRAFTSMAN CMEW231 comes with a 3 amp motor in a light body that weighs only about 3.5 pounds. It is easy to carry around, and the strong motor allows it to reach the speed of 12000 OPM easily. This corded sander has a five-inch disc which is a standard size of this kind of sander. Unlike all other sanders, this one comes with an onboard dust bag. However, for better results, you can connect it with a vacuum hose. The CRAFTSMAN CMEW231 is the best sander for removing paint from wood or varnish, smoothing out seams, and preparing surfaces.
- Easy to handle
- It comes with an onboard dust bag
- Can connect to the vacuum hose
- Strong motor
- Dust sealed switch ensures durability
- Has three-year warranty
Cons of The CRAFTSMAN CMEW231
- Not strong enough for some jobs
So if you are searching for the best electric sander for wood, then this corded unit would be an ideal choice.
Cordless Ryobi P411 One+ Random Orbit Power Sander For Wood
The cordless Ryobi P411 One+ makes sure you can use a sander without worrying about electric power or extension cords. Also, it runs on an 18 Volt battery and provides a smooth splinter-free surface with a speed of 10000 OPM. This lightweight sander weighs only about 2.5 amp, but it is stronger than its size. This versatile sander uses a battery that you can use for other tools too. It has used the hook and loop system to attach the sanding pads, making them easier to change and replace.
Things we like
- It comes with sanding pads that have a hook and loop system
- Rubber overgrip gives it a comfortable hold
- It has a good quality dust bag
- Strong enough for any jobs
- Compact sized
- It does not come with batteries
PORTER-CABLE 382 Random Orbit Sander With Dual Plane Counter
The PORTER-CABLE 382 is ideal for prepping the surface before any painting or staining. It works great on removing old paint and varnish as well. It is a small, compact-sized sander that you can easily carry around. Also, it accepts hook and loop sanding paper with eight holes. The holes suck in the dust and collect them in the dust collection bag. As it has a dust-sealed switch, it has better durability.
- Detachable dust bag
- 100% ball-bearing construction
- Hook and loop sanding paper is easily replaceable
- Dust sealed switch helps to prevent dust from getting in the machine
- Powerful sander
- Suitable for fine finishing
- Compact and lightweight
- The dust bag might come off after a few use
Ridgid R8606B GEN5X 18-Volt Cordless Random Orbit Sander
The Ridgid R8606B GEN5X is another cordless random orbital sander. This weighs about 3.49 pounds which might sound a bit heavy, but it is still easy to handle. You can use it anywhere, both vertically and horizontally. Also, this sander comes with an air guard technology that ensures 90% accurate dust collection so that you can have a neater workstation. As the dust bag is not big enough, you can attach the sander’s dust port to a vacuum hose for better results.
Advantages of The Ridgid R8606B GEN5X Wood Sander
- It is lightweight and compact
- Has a good dust collection system
- Cordless so you can take it anywhere
- Has a pad brake system to prevent gouging
- Dust sealed switch increases durability
- It comes with an adapter to attach the vacuum hose
- The dust bag is too small
The most common use of sanding machines is on wood. They can smooth out the surface, remove paint, and give the wood a shiny, smooth, polished finish. The random orbital sanders are normally used for polishing and taking on small projects. It works great as a finisher too. It covers up all the places a belt sander might have missed. We hope this article has helped you to find the best sander for wood furniture. But if not, we recommend you go for the Dewalt DWE6421K random orbital sander as it is the most popular sander in the market now. It comes at an affordable price and is suitable for both beginners and professionals with its user-friendly features.